Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Rockin it with Style....

While it's highly unlikely Eric Ginsberg ever sat down with his band the New Originals one night and devised an on-stage uniform of loin cloths and hairnets, the idea of aesthetic unity has never been short of desirable. Much to his disdain, each member of the band has shot it down without so much as an afterthought.
“I'd really love to get back to the Beatles' idea of everybody wearing this kind of uniform look” says the 26-year-old singer/songwriter from the Jersey Shore, “but I just can't talk my band into it.”
The Beatles, easily the root of motivation for thousands, if not millions of bands across the globe, went through their share of phases. While something as eccentric as the Sergeant Pepper's look would certainly catch the eye, Ginsberg has an earlier sense of style in mind.
“I'm talking about the Ed Sullivan look” he boldly states. “Matching suits with no collars; the idea of the whole band dressing nice and just matching.”
Unable to talk his band into a uniformed look, Ginsberg has opted to diversify his own collection via the closet collections of friends and family. Dubbed as “retro chic”, the frontman is very meticulous about his stagewear of vintage clothing. And he's not afraid of taking a few chances.
“I find that when I take a risk I often get a few compliments out of it” Ginsberg says, stifling a chuckle.
Ginsberg, who says anyone not finding inspiration from the Beatles is lying to you, is clearly one of the most honest musicians around. His music blends an upbeat vibe with catchy hooks for a combination more lethal than letting an alcoholic loose in an open bar.
And yet lyrically Ginsberg takes inspiration from life experiences, more often than not focused around the opposite sex. On his 2003 release I'm Glad I'm Not As Good As You, Ginsberg released a song titled “Painfully Attractive.” This, of course, has it's story.
“I was working at a record store on Long Island and there was this cute girl named Tara” Ginsberg says, as I picture the thought bubble slowly forming above his head. “It was difficult to just work around her at the time, but right now I can't even remember her last name. I couldn't even track her down if I wanted to.”
Needless to say, my image of the bubble burst immediately, replaced instead by the sounds of our unified laughter.
Does this make Eric Ginsberg a hopeless romantic?
“Sure” he said with a laugh. “You can print that.”
As Eric Ginsberg and the New Originals head back into the studio to work on a new album, the man at the mic may routinely find his ideas of stylistic unity kicked to the wayside with a collective thumbs down. In any case, Ginsberg will continue to pursue his music career with an individual drive for success and a sense of style.

- Frank Della Femina
Music/Fashion Reporter

No comments: